WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published October 27, 2011, 09:11 PM

3 Injured in Chemical Reaction at North Grand Forks Business

GRAND FORKS (WDAZ-TV) - Three workers were taken to Altru Hospital with injuries after a chemical reaction at a northern Grand Forks business.

By: Rick Abbott, WDAZ

GRAND FORKS (WDAZ-TV) - Three workers were taken to Altru Hospital with injuries after a chemical reaction at a northern Grand Forks business.

Batallion chief Mike Sandry said the extent of the workers' injuries and their identities weren't available Thursday night.

The Fire Department and Altru Ambulance were called to Western Polymer at 2250 Mill Road at about 5 p.m. They weren't completely cleared from the scene until about 8:45 p.m. Thursday.

Western Polymer is a supplier of potato starches to the paper industry.

Sandry says different chemicals were being mixed when it caused the reaction. Chlorine gas apparently filled the air, and could be smelled at the scene, but did not pose any serious threat to the public, Sandry said.

The chlorine was the byproduct of the reaction, Sandry said.

Responding were two fire rigs, a hazmat crew and 14 firefighters in total. At least one Altru ambulance also responded.

More information is expected Friday.

Tags: