WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published January 12, 2012, 07:53 PM

Barking Dog Alerts Bismarck Man to Fire in Kitchen

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — Bismarck police say that what began as a minor fire in an oven ultimately caused $25,000 in damage to a mobile home.

By: Associated Press,

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — Bismarck police say that what began as a minor fire in an oven ultimately caused $25,000 in damage to a mobile home.

And it could have been worse if not for an alert dog.

The Bismarck Tribune reports (http://bit.ly/A8jgtQ ) that 29-year-old William Sabot was treated for blisters, burns and cuts on his hands Wednesday after he tried to put out a fire that began in the oven of a home in the 4000 block of Avondale Drive.

Police say Sabot had been making chicken fingers and left the kitchen. About 10 minutes later, his dog began barking, alerting him to foot-high flames coming from the stove.

Police Sgt. Mark Buschena says the fire spread into a cupboard above the stove and continued to spread. No one else was injured.

Tags: