WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published January 18, 2012, 07:26 PM

Family of 5 Homeless After Buxton, ND, Fire

BUXTON, ND (WDAZ-TV) A family of five is homeless Wednesday night after a fire damaged their home in Buxton.

By: Rick Abbott, WDAZ

BUXTON, ND (WDAZ-TV) A family of five is homeless Wednesday night after a fire damaged their home in Buxton.

The home at 115 Ives St. caught fire in the attic sometime between 1:30 and 2 p.m. Wednesday, according to Leona Christie, who lives there with her husband Scott.

Also in the home were their daughter Tiffany, son Gavin and uncle Nick. They were all able to get out of the home after they discovered smoke coming from the attic.

Leona says she believes the cause was electrical and the entire roof is nearly gone.

They were at the home Wednesday night salvaging what they could. Christie said she could smell smoke on items in the home, but there wasn't too much smoke damage.

The family has been set up at a hotel in Grand Forks by the American Red Cross.

Scott Christie said they had a lot of help from their neighbors, who boarded up the burned portions of the home and attached the furnace to a neighbor's to keep the house warm overnight.

Tags: