WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published January 19, 2012, 10:08 PM

6 Escape Buxton, ND, House Fire

BUXTON, ND (WDAZ-TV) - Six people are homeless after fire engulfed their Buxton home yesterday. Buxton firefighters called over folks from Hillsboro to help extinguish the flames.

BUXTON, ND (WDAZ-TV) - Six people are homeless after fire engulfed their Buxton home yesterday. Buxton firefighters called over folks from Hillsboro to help extinguish the flames.

Scott Christie and his wife were lucky they noticed a glow in the ceiling tile of the kitchen.

He told me they didn't smell smoke until he was outside and flames had taken over his home.

A wire is what sparked this mess.

"I got back here and went in the basement and there was a circuit that popped," said homeowner, Scott Christie.

But it took awhile before the flames took over. Christie and his wife initially tried to extinguish the hotspot themselves, but it wasn't enough.

"We didn't smell smoke in the house, there was smoke outside. Till the attic lid was open," said Christie.

Then they realized it was out of their hands. The family evacuated, but Christie stayed behind.

"We actually saved all our important stuff, pictures, and we lost some bedding and beds and furniture in the rooms upstairs but its more the house right now," said Christie.

Debris and lots of it are what's left today. Christie tells me, that doesn't matter to him. Although he'll have to reconstruct the entire upstairs of his house, all he cares about is the safety of his family.

"As long as everybody was alright, I knew that was ok," said Christie.

Everyone was safe, as well as hundreds of his mother's love letters.

"I wasn't trying to save the love letters it was just 5 boxes next to the fire, it would have made the fire a lot worse," said Christie.

For now, Christie's thankful for all the help he's received from the firefighters and Red Cross.

"I don't think the house would've been here had it happened at night. We'd a probably been running out just ourselves," said Christie.

Christie isn't sure of the exact amount of damage just yet, I was there today while contractors were assessing the damage.

Fortunately everyone got out in time before the smoke got to them. The family really got lucky.

Tags: