WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published January 26, 2012, 04:32 PM

Officials: Grand Forks Apartment Fire Accidental

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) — Officials say a fire at a Grand Forks apartment that injured a construction worker was caused by maintenance crews working to refit a pipe.

By: Associated Press,

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) — Officials say a fire at a Grand Forks apartment that injured a construction worker was caused by maintenance crews working to refit a pipe.

Construction crews had been working on a third-floor corner apartment in Grand Forks when the fire started Wednesday morning. One of those workers suffered a minor burn to his hand trying to get the fire out before the fire department was called. No tenants were hurt.

Fire officials say the accidental fire started when workers used a torch as they attempted to place a new fitting on a pipe. Combustibles in the wall caught fire, causing the fire to spread quickly.

Authorities earlier estimated the fire caused $100,000 worth of property damage.

Tags: