WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published January 31, 2012, 07:52 PM

Fire Starts in UND Chemistry Lab

No one injured
GRAND FORKS (WDAZ-TV) - A grad student started a fire in an organic chemistry lab at UND Tuesday afternoon.

By: Stacie Van Dyke, WDAZ

GRAND FORKS (WDAZ-TV) - A grad student started a fire in an organic chemistry lab at UND Tuesday afternoon.

The fire started when the student mixed isopropyl alcohol and tetrahydrofuran in an Abbott Hall lab.

Mixing the chemicals together caused some exothermic heat to be released, and it ignited.

It was quickly put out by the student with a fire extinguisher and the fire department was called as a precaution.

The building has no smoke damage and will be fully functional again soon.

"The lab should be back in business. Certainly going to review some procedures with the student involved and make sure if there are any questions they have or any things they can do to try to prevent such an incident in the future we get that taken care of," UND director of safety Jason Uhlir said.

No one was injured.

No instructor was present at the time of the fire.

Tags: