WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published March 08, 2012, 06:20 PM

Man Helps Neighbor Out of Burning Home

FISHER, MN (WDAZ-TV) A wood stove fire damaged several rooms at a house in Fisher on Thursday morning, but a neighbor helped the homeowner out of the house during the blaze.

FISHER, MN (WDAZ-TV) A wood stove fire damaged several rooms at a house in Fisher on Thursday morning, but a neighbor helped the homeowner out of the house during the blaze.

John Brice called 911 after he saw flames shooting out of the corner of the home and was worried about the woman that lived there.

So he did what he could to help out.

"I was looking out the window and I just saw kind of a lot of smoke and I saw flames and called 911," Neighbor John Brice said.

Brice lives across the street from 312 South 2nd Street.

When he saw flames shooting out of the corner of the house, he worried about the woman who lived there.

"She was in the house, so I went over there and got her out, told her to get out and by that time these guys were here. They were here in two minutes, it was amazing," Brice said.

The homeowner was not injured.

13 firefighters from Fisher and Crookston were on the scene at 10 a.m. to fight the blaze.

"The fire we believe started in the area around where the wood stove came out of the wall, where the stove pipe came out," Fisher Fire Chief Chris Klawitter.

Firefighters were on the scene for more than two hours, even though the primary flames were knocked down in 10 minutes, they had to cut out the stove pipe and make sure all the flames were out.

"The main part was just searching for extension in the walls and making sure everything was out, which in these old houses, it can get everywhere," Klawitter said.

Brice is still surprised at what he saw, the neighbor is just glad everyone is alright.

"It don't happen that often. I've been here 12 years and this is the first one I've seen," Brice said.

Firefighters say most of the damage was contained to two rooms.

Tags: