WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published May 19, 2012, 09:01 PM

Unattended Cooking Likely Cause of GF Apartment Fire

A resident of a top-floor apartment at 504½ Chestnut St. in Grand Forks was rescued after a report Saturday afternoon of smoke coming from a window, a news release from the fire department said.

By: Forum Communications, WDAZ

A resident of a top-floor apartment at 504½ Chestnut St. in Grand Forks was rescued after a report Saturday afternoon of smoke coming from a window, a news release from the fire department said.

Firefighters were dispatched to the two-and-a-half story duplex apartment at 3:04 p.m. Saturday after a report of smoke coming from the top floor window. Fire crews forced entry to the second floor loft style apartment and encountered smoke near the floor level. One resident and two dogs were rescued from the apartment.

Unattended cooking appeared to be the cause of the fire, officials said. The fire was contained to the area of the stove and minimal structural damage was caused. The building was ventilated and the main floor residents were allowed to return to their apartment accompanied by the neighbor’s dogs.

Tags: