Crookston Man 'Very Lucky' After Rescue From Burning HomeCROOKSTON, MN (WDAZ-TV) - Firefighters saved a Crookston man from an early morning house fire that caused the roof to collapse, destroying the garage and part of the home.
CROOKSTON, MN (WDAZ-TV) - Firefighters saved a Crookston man from an early morning house fire that caused the roof to collapse, destroying the garage and part of the home.
Some neighbors were confused and had a rude awakening as sirens, bright lights and the sounds of explosions woke them up.
Firefighters were called to the scene shortly after 3 a.m. on Thursday, where the back of the home was fully engulfed in flames and the garage had collapsed.
Abby Parr lives across the street from 522 Summit Avenue. On Thursday morning the teen, along with several other neighbors,noticed flames shooting out of the home.
"Sirens and then we heard a big bang and it was the cars that blew up in the garage back there," Parr said.
"I just got dressed, came out and the back of the house was on fire," neighbor Russell Peck said.
The fire, sirens and explosions scared some of the neighbors and even left a couple worried about their own homes.
"The flames were going off the reflections of our walls so I thought it was like part of our house on fire at first but no it wasn't that," Parr said.
Shawn Hanson was on the second floor of his home when the fire started. He heard his smoke alarm and called the fire department.
"He was trapped in the home, due to the heavy smoke that had come in through one of the windows and door area and he was unable to get out of the home," Crookston Fire Department Captain Bob Magsam said.
Firefighters saved Hanson and continued to fight the fire which they believe started in the garage.
"The extinguishing efforts probably took approximately two hours to get the fire under control and then it was dealing with a lot of hot spots and smoldering. Very early on in the fire, it broke through the attic space and engulfed the roof area," Magsam said.
The entire home has heavy fire and smoke damage. Three cars were destroyed as well. Firefighters say they are glad they got to the house in time to get Hanson out.
"He was very, very lucky. A lot of things went in his favor. The most important thing is his smoke detectors did work," Magsam said.
Hanson was brought to the hospital for smoke inhalation and was released. Although the fire is still under investigation, firefighters think a battery charger in the garage may have started the blaze.