GF Council Votes to Add Roundabout on 24th Ave. S.(WDAZ-TV) - The Grand Forks City Council voted Monday night to give a busy T-shaped intersection in town a makeover.
(WDAZ-TV) - The Grand Forks City Council voted Monday night to give a busy T-shaped intersection in town a makeover.
The city will turn the intersection of 24th Avenue South and South 34th Street into a roundabout. The only similar one here in town is currently at the airport.
Construction is scheduled to begin next summer and it's estimated to cost more than $500,000. Federal funds will cover 80 percent and the city will pay the other 20 percent.
There has been increased traffic along 24th Avenue South and drivers trying to turn onto that street have experienced more delays and traffic congestion.
"If you look at it, drive it right now it's kind of a funny intersection. You're in the middle of a curve, you're coming in at a curve so geometrics of that intersection are kind of unusual which I think makes it a good candidate for a roundabout rather than putting up a traffic signal," Grand Forks City Engineer Al Grasser said.
Grasser says that when the city gets closer to the construction time, they'll be posting videos online for drivers to learn how to maneuver a roundabout.
Grasser says this intersection is perfect for one because of its odd shape with the road curving and the type of intersection that's currently there.