WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published January 27, 2010, 03:48 PM

Battery Explodes Leaving One Injured

Battery Explodes Leading to Injured UND Employee

By: Jen Dame, WDAZ

A routine procedure leads to an explosion and an injured University of North Dakota employee.

A facilities electrician for the University was attempting to start a generator that is stored for power outages, when a lead acid battery used to start the generator blew up.

The electrician was close to the battery when it exploded.

The employee was struck by flying debris and battery acid.

University Officials say the electrician was knocked unconscious for several minutes before coming to and realizing something had happened.

"Employee did the right thing immediately left the warehouse type building he was working in with the generator, another employee was nearby and saw he was in need of assistance and took him to a nearby eyewash station to basically wash any of the battery residue and acid and water off of himself," says Jason Uhlir, Dir., Campus Safety & Security/Risk MGMT.

The employee was treated and released from Altru Hospital this morning.

Tags: