Thursday Night Fire Leaves Family Without a HomeA family is homeless this evening after flames engulfed and destroyed their home near Emerado last (Thursday) night. The fire started just before 8:00 when a wood-burning stove caught on fire.
By: Melanie Orlins, WDAZ
A family is homeless this evening after flames engulfed and destroyed their home near Emerado last (Thursday) night. The fire started just before 8:00 when a wood-burning stove caught on fire.
Flames spread quickly through the roof before fire fighters arrived on scene. But, luckily the three adults and two children inside escaped without getting hurt. Tonight, nearly 24 hours later there are still smoldering hot spots. But it wasn't the flames that were the problem last night, it was the sub zero temperature.
When fire fighters arrived on scene nearly 15 minutes after the call came in, there wasn't much they could do. With wind chill temperatures edging 40 below, it wasn't long before the firefighters' pumps froze. Emerado firefighter Chris Thielke says that had the temperature not been so blistering cold, the house might have been salvageable. Thielke, "Once the pump froze and by the time the other fire departments got there it had pretty much taken over the whole house and we kind of just had to let it go."
Now, a devastated family is left to start over with the only thing they have besides faith -- the clothes on their backs. There are still hot spots but the fire department doesn't believe that to be any threat to any other home in the area because of the snow on the ground.