WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published June 03, 2013, 06:27 PM

Sheriff's Dept: Park River couple's home lacked smoke detectors

The elderly couple that died in a house fire last week did not have smoke detectors in their home - - that's according to the Walsh County Sheriff's Department.

By: David Schwab, WDAZ

The elderly couple that died in a house fire last week did not have smoke detectors in their home - - that's according to the Walsh County Sheriff's Department.

89-year-old Norman & 83-year-old Margaret Winther were killed in their home Thursday night. Officials believe the fire started when the electric water heater malfunctioned, igniting combustible materials next to it. It's believed the long time Park River residents were disoriented from the smoke, and were unable to flee the house.

Ronald Jurgens, Walsh County Chief Deputy: "Some of the lessons would be have workable detectors in the house, also carbon dioxide detectors."

Norman and Margaret had four children and six grandchildren and just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. Their funeral will be this Wednesday at 10:30 am at Our Savior's Lutheran Church in Park River.

Tags: