WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published June 13, 2013, 02:48 PM

Prosecutors drop felony assault charge against Bison linebacker

The Cass County State’s Attorney said this afternoon that prosecutors are dropping the felony assault charge filed earlier this week against a star linebacker for North Dakota State University’s football team.

Cass County prosecutors have decided to dismiss a felony Assault charge against NDSU star linebacker Travis Beck. The 21-year-old was charged after a fight early Sunday morning in Fargo that left a man unconscious.

After reviewing surveillance video and conducting further interviews, the States Attorney decided they could not prove Beck was the aggressor in this case or disprove self defense. Police reports say the man Beck punched was found unconscious on the sidewalk outside the Sports Bar. According to the complaint filed in court, multiple witnesses told officers at the scene that Beck was the aggressor in the fight. States Attorney Birch Burdick says once more interviews were conducted, it was clear charges needed to be dropped.

Burdick: "At least two other witnesses were interviewed, based on that and in conversation with the police department we believed that we would just not be in the position in the courtroom to prove a case, so it appeared to us that the appropriate thing to do was dismiss this case, which is what we are doing now."

Burdick says alcohol was a contributing factor in this case. Beck still faces a class B misdemeanor charge for resisting arrest.

Tags: