WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published July 25, 2013, 02:37 PM

Fan causes small fire at Schroeder Middle School

A small fire started at Schroeder Middle School in Grand Forks after a floor fan caught fire just after 3 p.m. Wednesday, according to Rob Corbett of the Grand Fork Fire Department.

By: Herald Staff Reports, Grand Forks Herald

A small fire started at Schroeder Middle School in Grand Forks after a floor fan caught fire just after 3 p.m. Wednesday, according to Rob Corbett of the Grand Fork Fire Department.

Janitors working in the school smelled smoke just before alarms went off, after which they spotted a fan in one of the main hallways in flames and extinguished it. No one was hurt.

Firefighters arrived on the scene after the fire was put out.

Corbett said the fire left minimal smoke and soot damage around the fan, but left a strong smell of smoke in the school.

“They are going to need to bring in a restoration team to clean things up and get rid of the smell,” Corbett said. “But the property is mostly fine.”

A report is being filed by the fire department, but Corbett said an investigation shouldn’t be needed.

“It was just a malfunction of the fan,” he said.

Tags: