WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published July 31, 2013, 12:20 PM

House fire displaces Ardoch, N.D. family

ARDOCH, N.D. -- A family of four is displaced tonight after a fire destroyed their home in Ardoch.

By: Cynthia Johnson, WDAZ

A family of four is displaced tonight after a fire destroyed their home in Ardoch.

The fire engulfed the majority of the house this morning, leaving the family with very few belongings. It was about 7:00 Wednesday morning when homeowner Barbara Burnett says her 15-year-old son woke her up telling her there was a fire.

Burnett's 19 and 12-year-old sons were also home, asleep at the time of the fire. The entire family made it out of the house safely and no one was injured. While firefighters haven't determined the cause of the blaze yet Burnett says she believes it was an extension cord plugged into an air conditioning unit that was coiled underneath a bed. Burnett says she's thankful her son was awakened by the flames.

Burnett says fire fighters were able to save her basement, but the house would probably not be livable.

If you'd like to help, the Sharon Lutheran Church in Grand Forks will be accepting donations of furniture and household items and there will be a benefit breakfast Sunday August 11th at the Minto Community Center from 9:00 am until noon.

Tags: