WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published August 14, 2013, 09:15 PM

Significant increase in fires due to improper disposal of smoking materials

Officials with the Grand Forks Fire Department say they've seen a significant increase in fires caused by careless use of smoking materials.

By: Michael Yoshida, WDAZ

Officials with the Grand Forks Fire Department say they've seen a significant increase in fires caused by careless use of smoking materials. A deck fire on Monday was the latest, and in the last year there have been about ten accidental fires, one resulting in death. These fires can cause damages ranging in cost from $1,000 to excess of $100,000. Often times, fire marshals find that the cause of fires is careless and improper disposal of smoking materials. Officials say that if you choose to smoke, be responsible and aware.

Fire Marshal Brandon Boespflug said, "Every one of these fires are preventable. The deaths caused by these fires are preventable, and the key is if you're going to smoke, smoke smart."

Some tips for fire safety while smoking include using proper ashtrays, and not using your foot to put out smoking materials. For more safety information click here.

Tags: