WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published October 01, 2013, 08:05 PM

Minnesota boy hospitalized after eating laundry detergent packet

A 1-year-old Ulen, Minn., boy is being treated at Sanford Health in Fargo after swallowing a laundry detergent pod. Alexander Rohde is in the hospital’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

FARGO – A 1-year-old Ulen, Minn., boy is being treated at Sanford Health in Fargo after swallowing a laundry detergent pod.

Alexander Rohde is in the hospital’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

In May of 2012, the American Association of Poison Control Centers first alerted the public about children 5 and younger becoming ill after exposure to single-load laundry packets sold by a variety of manufacturers.

According to the association's website, between Jan. 1 and Aug. 31, more than 6,700 cases have been reported involving children younger than 5 being exposed to laundry packets of various brands.

In July, the association announced that Procter & Gamble, maker of Tide Pods, had redesigned its packaging of the product and the association urged other manufacturers to follow suit.

Tide Pods were originally packaged in colorful packets that came in clear tubs that critics said looked like candy jars.

The pods are now packaged in opaque containers.

In the statement issued in July, the American Association of Poison Control Centers said new packaging alone won’t protect young children from such products.

“It’s also important for parents and caregivers always to keep laundry detergents locked up high and out of the reach of children,” the AAPCC statement said.

Tags: