Fire above Bonzer's determined to be accidentalFirefighters have determined the fire above Bonzers Saturday night to be accidental.
Firefighters have determined the fire above Bonzers Saturday night to be accidental.
Crews finished their investigation Tuesday and determined the fire was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials. The investigation reveals that people in the apartments above the restaurant had been smoking in the hallway and throwing their cigarettes out the window. The cigarettes landed on the section of the building that housed the boiler and main electrical components and ignited combustible material.
"The fire did cause extensive damage to both the electrical system of the building and then the structure that housed the boiler," said Fire Marshal Brandon Boespflug.
The building owner, Dan Sampson, told WDAZ roughly 50 to 100 thousand dollars in damage was caused by the fire. Tenants will be able to move back upstairs once the heating is repaired.