WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published January 15, 2014, 02:59 PM

Nine still out of apartments following downtown fire

The Fire was accidental, caused by careless cigarette disposal according to the Grand Forks Fire marshal. Building owner Dan Sampson says the building's boiler has been repaired where the fire started and all that's left is to repair the electrical work.

By: WDAZ Staff Reports, WDAZ

Nine tenants are still estranged as they await apartments above Bonzer's to re-open.

The Fire was accidental, caused by careless cigarette disposal according to the Grand Forks Fire marshal. Building owner Dan Sampson says the building's boiler has been repaired where the fire started and all that's left is to repair the electrical work.

The businesses downstairs are all open but upstairs tenants could be waiting another week before returning home. Samspon told WDAZ that the apartment already has strict rules against smoking.

"We've already had restrictions and we've had signs up and we fought the renters repeatedly, we're going to take the next step, if they do it again we're going to put cameras in," said Sampson.

Sampson estimates the fire caused around 100,000 dollars in damage.

Tags: