ID released on Devils Lake house fire victimDEVILS LAKE, N.D. - A man who died in a weekend house fire in Devils Lake has been identified.
DEVILS LAKE, N.D. - A man who died in a weekend house fire in Devils Lake has been identified.
William Hendrickx, 57, died Saturday morning in the blaze that destroyed the home, located at the corner of Seventh Street and Ninth Avenue Northeast, according to a report from the Devils Lake Fire Department.
The fire, which started at about 7 a.m., was brought under control in about two hours, according to the report. A dog also died in the fire.
Officials indicated the fire, which started in the basement, was caused by an electrical problem.
Firefighters say they believe the fire started in the basement of the house and moved upward.
No other nearby structures were threatened. Assistant Fire Chief Cory Meyer says it was difficult to battle the blaze because of the damage to the home.
"We found the floor sagging so we couldn't make much entry, so we tried another point in. As we tried another door in we found a victim inside unfortunately," Meyer said.