WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published October 18, 2010, 09:49 PM

Fire Department Responds to Small Deck Fire

The Grand Forks Fire Department said a small fire near Hugo's Monday afternoon could have been worse.

The Grand Forks Fire Department said a small fire near Hugo's Monday afternoon could have been worse.

Fire officials think that a fire at the Southport Apartments may have been started by smoking materials in a plastic container.

Just across from the intersection of South 17th Street and 30th Avenue.

The Grand Forks fire and police departments responded around 3 pm.

The Fire Marshal said it was lucky a neighbor saw it.

Only the deck was damaged, but it could have easily spread to the building.

"Can't stress enough to be careful with anything that starts a fire. In this situation it was a cigarette that had been put out," said Terry Wynne, Fire Marshal for Grand Forks.

He said even though there is minimal damage to the deck, it will have to be replaced.

Nobody was hurt.

Tags: