WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published October 21, 2011, 09:58 AM

Fargo family survives carbon monoxide scare

FARGO, N.D. (AP) — Members of a Fargo family are recovering in a hospital after a carbon monoxide scare.

FARGO, N.D. (AP) — Members of a Fargo family are recovering in a hospital after a carbon monoxide scare.

Members of the Al and Shirley Shafer family became sick Thursday morning. Daughter Amanda ran off to buy a carbon monoxide detector, and it went off when she brought it back to the house. She and her brother Mike drove the rest of the family to the hospital, where Al and Shirley Shafer and their son Zach are still recovering.

Fire Department Assistant Chief LeRoy Skarloken says the family members had toxic levels of carbon monoxide in their systems that over time could have been deadly.

Firefighter suspect the carbon monoxide came from a faulty furnace.

Tags: