Ammonia Leak Dealt With in Horace, ND
By: Associated Press,
FARGO, N.D. (AP) — Residents of the southeast North Dakota town of Horace were warned to stay indoors for several hours Saturday morning while emergency officials dealt with an anhydrous ammonia leak.
Cass County Administrator Bonnie Johnson says the "all clear" was given shortly before noon. Officials used a reverse-911 emergency messaging system to notify residents. They had used the same system to warn of the leak at Harvest States Elevator about 8:30 a.m.
Johnson says a mechanical problem at a 30,000-gallon anhydrous ammonia tank sent a cloud of vapor into the air but it quickly dissipated. She says ammonia was transferred to another tank. No injuries were reported.
Anhydrous ammonia is a common crop fertilizer. It can be dangerous if inhaled.