WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published June 29, 2011, 08:36 PM

2 Injured in Home Explosion Transferred to St. Paul Hospital; Propane Ruled Cause of Blast

The two people injured in a home explosion north of Larimore, ND, Monday night have been transferred to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. The State Fire Marshal concluded that a propane leak was the likely cause of the blast.

By: WDAZ Staff Report,

The two people injured in a home explosion north of Larimore, ND, Monday night have been transferred to Regions Hospital in St. Paul.

23-year-old Justin McMahon was in critical condition Wednesday evening and 22-year-old Danielle Bissell was in serious condition, according to a hospital nursing supervisor.

Their daughter, 6-month-old Samantha Bissell, was found lifeless after the explosion, thrown from her mother's arms.

Danielle Bissell was reportedly found partially underneath a couch and McMahon was found inside what was left of home, buried underneath rubble.

Both Bissell and McMahon had initially been taken to Altru Hospital and treated for serious injuries.

The North Dakota State Fire Marshal Wednesday released the probable cause of the blast, saying it was caused by a propane leak. The findings of the investigation indicate that propane was the fuel for the explosion, which was triggered by a water pressure pump being activated in the basement.

The Grand Forks Sheriff's Department said in a written release that hopefully something can be learned from this very tragic event.

Debris from the explosion flew 40 to 50 yards from the two-story house. Neighbors miles away report hearing the blast, which some described as like a sonic boom.

Tags: