WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published July 22, 2011, 08:30 PM

2 Charged in LA in Brutal Beating of Baseball Fan

Two men were charged Friday in the near-fatal beating of a San Francisco Giants fan on opening day at Dodger Stadium.

By: Thomas Watkins, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two men were charged Friday in the near-fatal beating of a San Francisco Giants fan on opening day at Dodger Stadium.

Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, both of Rialto, were charged with one count each of mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, and battery with serious bodily injury, all felonies.

The complaint alleged both men personally inflicted great bodily injury on victim Bryan Stow, a paramedic from Santa Cruz.

The charges came nearly four months after the beating, and after the arrest of another man who was not charged in the case.

"The Los Angeles Police Department never gave up on this case," District Attorney Steve Cooley said in a prepared statement. "The experienced prosecutors assigned to the case will present the evidence in the courtroom, where ultimate decisions will be made."

Sanchez and Norwood, arrested by Los Angeles police at their San Bernardino County homes Thursday, were being held on $500,000 bail each. A woman who was taken into custody with the two men was not charged.

If convicted, Sanchez could face a possible maximum state prison term of nine years, and Norwood could face a possible maximum eight-year term, prosecutors said.

The investigation into the brutal beating of Stow took a surprising turn with the arrest of the two new suspects and the realization that police likely bungled the initial probe by nabbing the wrong guy.

"In policing, it's just as important to exonerate the innocent as it is to implicate the guilty," police Chief Charlie Beck said at a terse news conference Friday afternoon. "I want to tell the world that Giovanni Ramirez is no longer a suspect in this case."

Sanchez also was charged with two misdemeanor counts of battery stemming from a separate incident the same day as the beating, prosecutors said.

Stow, the father of two children, remained hospitalized in San Francisco in serious condition with a brain injury. His family said in a blog post Friday that he appeared to mouth his last name and might have tried to give a thumbs-up.

On Monday, he underwent emergency surgery for fluid buildup in his head. Doctors have kept him under heavy sedation since the attack to prevent seizures.