WDAY.com

WDAZ: Your Home Team

Published July 27, 2011, 08:20 PM

Hose Burst, Smoke Cause Damage and Evacuation at UND Chemical Engineering Building

Students at UND are calling it an exciting and unusual Monday after a hose burst on an experiment in the Chemical Engineering Department.

Students at UND are calling it an exciting and unusual Monday after a hose burst on an experiment in the Chemical Engineering Department.

A class was working to research new methods to produce fuels and chemicals from renewable sources to replace those that come from petroleum.

The hose that burst will only cost about $100 to replace, but cleaning the room that was covered in soot hasn't been cheap.

The reaction could have been avoided had the hose not been kinked in the wall a certain way.

It also couldn't withstand pressure and heat from the soybean project students were working.

There was no fire, but the room filled quickly with smoke and caused the building to be evacuated.

"The one part of the system that we will replace is this braided hose, we'll get off that braided hose on all of these and put in tubing which can handle higher pressure," professor Wayne Seames said.

The student and teacher who were in and near the room got out safely and were checked for smoke inhalation at Altru Hospital and are already back at UND.

Tags: