Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Animal Watch: Leftover Easter items can pose problems

1 / 2
2 / 2

GRAND FORKS, ND (WDAZ-TV) - Easter is over, but the items left behind could pose problems for pets.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has a warning to all pet owners.

Turns out so many of the things associated with Easter can be extremely dangerous for pets.

Plants, such as lilies, can result in kidney injury and gastrointestinal upset.

Plastic Easter grass found in the baskets cannot be absorbed.

It can become lodged in the gastrointestinal tract and wreak havoc if consumed.

Signs for concern include vomiting, diarrhea, decrease in appetite, lethargy, and stomach pain.

Finally, those chocolate bunnies are bad news. Chocolate can cause gastrointestinal upset, pancreatitis, hyperactivity, tremors and seizures, and elevation in heart rate.

Not all chocolate is created equally. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for pets.

Always remember to keep a close eye on your pets.

Advertisement
randomness