Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Local students respond to deadly internet dare

1 / 2
2 / 2

GRAND FORKS, ND (WDAZ)--A dangerous trend is hitting close to home.

It's a dare that can turn deadly.

“It’s for cleaning your clothes, not for cleaning the inside of your body,” said UND student, Sam Dressler.

“We've seen a lot of different challenges move throughout social media, this one is probably one of the worst ones you could do just because you could hurt yourself or somebody else if they were to do it,” said UND Police Lt. Danny Weigel.

Serious effects of ingesting the individually wrapped laundry detergent can include severe vomiting, severe breathing trouble, burns to the esophagus, and even coma. No cases have been reported at UND - but campus cops have issued an alert.

“You just don't really know at that particular point what someone is thinking and why they may attempt to do something like this,” said Weigel.

According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers,  in just the first 11 days of 2018--40 cases of exposures to liquid laundry detergent pods by 13- to 19-year olds were reported .

“I feel like it's an element of peer pressure it's like I'll do it if you do it but it's hazardous it's not a game,” said UND student, Chloe Kaelberer.

Today - Youtube started removing these videos from their site because this challenge is so dangerous.

“Just because somebody says to do something doesn't mean you should do it,” said Weigel.

 A dangerous challenge that community leaders are trying to wash away.

Advertisement
randomness