Weather Forecast


Mendota Heights Police Officer Scott Patrick Shot, Killed During Traffic Stop

Mendota Heights Police Officer Scott Patrick Photo: Facebook/Mike Brue1 / 3
Brian Fitch, wanted in shooting of Mendota Heights police officer. Photo: Dakota County Sherrif's Office2 / 3
Photo: KSTP-TV3 / 3

A Mendota Heights police officer was shot and killed near Dodd Road and Smith Avenue in West St. Paul around noon Wednesday.

Authorities say Mendota Heights Police Officer Scott Patrick was shot and killed. He was 47 years old and leaves behind a wife and two teenage children. He had been a police officer with Mendota Heights since 1995, according to Mendota Heights Police Chief Mike Aschenbrener.

Authorities are looking for Brian Fitch Senior, 39. Anyone with information on his location is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS. A reward is being offered for information leading to his arrest.

Minnesota State Patrol says a car chase and arrest on Interstate 494 at Lake Road in Woodbury was not related to the shooting of the officer.

Police confirm Officer Patrick was shot in the head during a traffic stop. He was transported to Region's Hospital, where he later died. Witnesses said they heard three gunshots in the quiet neighborhood.

During a news conference, West St. Paul Police Officer Brian Sturgeon said authorities believe Fitch is driving a green four-door car with Minnesota license plate number SED 283. Multiple agencies are involved in the investigation and search.

John Gouette, owner of Cherokee Service, told the Associated Press that he saw a dark green Pontiac Grand Am race past shortly after the shooting going more than 100 mph, with police in pursuit.

Mendota Heights Mayor Sandra Krebsbach said during a news conference, "It's a difficult time for the city of Mendota Heights, and we ask that you keep the Patrick family in your prayers and respect their privacy, and please keep the city of Mendota Heights in your prayers."

"Scott has worked here my entire career," said Chief Aschenbrener. "He was a very dedicated police officer, and a family man who absolutely adored his children."

Following the shooting, officers originally set up a perimeter in a residential area on the 1900 block of Walsh Lane, but the main scene moved to Pond Circle East, which is near Delaware Avenue and Interstate 494. When KSTP-TV's helicopter was last on the scene, crime tape was set up in the area, the road was blocked off, and SWAT officers were geared up. They have been focusing on a specific house.

Patrick is the half-brother of veteran Grand Forks journalist Mike Brue who worked at both WDAZ and the Grand Forks Herald.