Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Firefighter injured during explosion at Simplot

1 / 2
2 / 2

GRAND FORKS, ND (WDAZ-TV) - An explosion rocked a Grand Forks business this morning.

A fire broke out in the roof of the Simplot's factory just after 6 Thursday morning.

While firefighters were fighting the blaze, flames caused a piece of machinery to explode.

One firefighter was sent to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Fire crews believe it was all due to a machine that overheated.

“The fire started in a device that they call the RTO system, and what that does for the plant is it controls the odor that is emitted from the plant when they're processing of the potatoes,” said Capt. Darren Schimke of the Grand Forks Fire Department.

The fire took several hours to put out.

Advertisement
randomness