John Hageman covers North Dakota politics from the Forum News Service bureau in Bismarck. He attended the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities, where he studied journalism and political science, and he previously worked at the Grand Forks Herald and Bemidji Pioneer.
- Member for
- 5 years 3 weeks
BISMARCK—Gov. Doug Burgum signaled support for the latest Republican health care reform effort this week. A letter Burgum signed with 14 other Republican governors and sent to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Tuesday, Sept. 19, called "adequately funded block grants to the states, along with maximum flexibility and control" the "best option on the table."
BISMARCK—For the first time in two years, North Dakota's taxable sales and purchases increased over the same three-month period from a year before, Tax Commissioner Ryan Rauschenberger said Tuesday, Sept. 19. Taxable sales and purchases for the second quarter of 2017 were $4.69 billion, up 6.8 percent over the same quarter in 2016. The state saw consistent drops since early 2015, including a 33.2 percent decline in the first quarter of 2016.
BISMARCK — The latest health care reform effort from congressional Republicans is again causing a split between North Dakota's senators. The effort, led by Republican senators Lindsey Graham and Bill Cassidy, comes after other attempts to remake the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare, failed this summer.
BISMARCK — The North Dakota Emergency Commission will consider a $5 million request to pay expenses related to the Dakota Access Pipeline protests Monday, Sept. 25. The Office of the Adjutant General requested increased spending authority to accept a $5 million loan from the Bank of North Dakota, according to a meeting agenda. That boosts the estimated cost of the monthslong protests to the state and Morton County to $43 million, according to Department of Emergency Services spokeswoman Cecily Fong.
BISMARCK - North Dakota Department of Health officials “wrongfully demoted” a longtime microbiologist two years ago, an administrative law judge said late last month. Lynn Jordheim’s 52-page order, dated Aug. 31, overturned Timothy Brosz’s demotion, which came shortly after he received a “pre-action notice” in May 2015.
BISMARCK - The Burke County prosecutor reached a pretrial diversion agreement this week with a western North Dakota man charged in a rare voter fraud case. Dale Monte Larsen was charged with voter fraud, a Class A misdemeanor, for allegedly voting in Burke and Ward counties during the 2016 election. Secretary of State Al Jaeger said it may be the first such case to be prosecuted since the 2000 election.
BISMARCK—North Dakota Supreme Court justices needled attorneys in a high school gym Thursday, Sept. 14, as they weighed arguments in the case of Barry Garcia, the man convicted of murdering a West Fargo woman when he was 16 years old.
BISMARCK — North Dakota juveniles are arrested at a higher rate than the national average, a state corrections official told an interim legislative committee Wednesday, Sept. 13. While arrest rates for violent crimes and weapons violations are well below the national figures, arrests for disorderly conduct, liquor law violations, drug use and property crimes among juveniles helped push North Dakota's rates higher, according to a presentation from Lisa Bjergaard, director of the juvenile services division at the North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
BISMARCK — The North Dakota Industrial Commission approved two Bank of North Dakota loan programs to help livestock producers hampered by this year's drought Wednesday, Sept. 13. The three-member commission, chaired by Gov. Doug Burgum, approved a program to provide financing to purchase and rebuild breeding stock along with another to help with the added costs of feeding livestock.
BISMARCK — Attorneys for Barry Garcia, the man convicted of murdering a West Fargo woman when he was 16 years old more than two decades ago, say their client should be able to use a new North Dakota law to seek a reduced sentence. Garcia's case will be heard by the state Supreme Court on Thursday, Sept. 14, about 21 years after he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for shooting and killing Cherryl Tendeland as she sat in a parked car. Earlier this year, a Cass County judge rejected Garcia's petition to be resentenced.